Saturday, June 4, 2011

Behind the Scenes

I had the very distinct honor of making a wedding cake for an absolutely wonderful couple last week.

I am not sure why, but I took pictures throughout the process.

Maybe because I was so excited to do it, I didn't want to forget it.

Regardless, if you're interested, read on!



It's a must to start with the batter.

This was slated to be a four tier cake, so there was a full day of baking.

I love baking.


Nothing prettier than a beautiful golden cake in the oven.

With a dirty window.

Look past that.  To the cake.

Yep.  There it is!


More batter.  There was LOTS of batter.


Fast forward to day two!  

Now, there's lots of cake!  

It may not look like much, so you'll just have to trust me when I say it was.

I love this part.  Knowing that these innocent little cakes will soon come together
and make one huge wedding cake!


Then comes the torting, filling, stacking, supporting and trotting and on and on...


Until lo and behold...


You have a  very lopsided and rather plain looking four tier cake!

Hooray...

oh.

Nope.  Not yet.

This is the crumb coat.  It is what it sounds like.  You ice it with all the crumbs and love it has to offer and then let it set up so you can put a nicer coat of icing on top of it withOUT the crumbs shining through.  We like the cake part, we just don't want to see it through the icing thankyouverymuch.

From here, it gets iced with another "prettier" layer of icing - with no crumbs.

And, in this particular case, transported to the wedding location.

(FYI, transporting cakes is a VERY stressful business.)

Once it got to the site, the process of putting on the berries began...


Every berry had a place.


And needed some icing "glue" to hold it on.


It was a  slow process.  I was more than a little concerned I didn't allow for enough time.


But it turned out I had just enough.  God always seems to take care of me like that.


And before I knew it - voila!


Every berry had found it's place and I got to pack it on up and scoot out of there!


I was told it was a big hit - I know the berries were tasty, because I snacked on the leftover ones on my way back home.  I'm just blessed to have been that little part of it.


3 comments:

CookiePrincess said...

Beautiful!

ashkenlo3 said...

Absolutely beautiful and it looks scrumdiddlyuptious!!!

Carol said...

The cake is beautiful! What fun to see behind the scenes. Thanks for sharing.